Forum home Plants

Tomato plants

StorminStormin Posts: 40
Hi bought 2 small tomato plants - keeping them indoors as I was told not to plant them out until mid June. Only small pots and can see roots showing at bottom of pots so do I put them into bigger pots now. It will be about 4 weeks before putting outside.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Yes - if you can get something like a clematis pot, that will be ideal for the next few weeks. They have plenty of depth for roots.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    Yes they should go into a bigger pot now ... they’ll probably need an even bigger one in a few weeks smile 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• StorminStormin Posts: 40
    Thanks for reply. They do look a bit pot-bound. Will have a go tomorrow. They will eventually go into a grow bag but not for a few weeks. First attempt at growing them outside so fingers 🤞. 
    Looks nice and  healthy anyway, so should be fine  :)

Hi Fairygirl thanks for your reply too. Will find a couple of deep pots. I've bought Gardeners Delight and Alicante varieties. 
    I'm sure they'll do well for you  :)
    If you haven't used growbags before, a good tip is to give them a really good shake before cutting open and planting. They become a bit solid if they've been sitting for a while.
    Another method is to cut them in half horizontally and use each half for one plant - they then become like a large pot.  :)

Will give grow bag a good shake - just going to put the 2 tomato plants in 1 grow bag. 
    That should be fine.  :)