Forum home Plants

Have I been sold horse manure instead of MPC?

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
I bought a couple of bags of levingtons MPC and they smell strongly of horse manure. In fact I can't get the smell off my hands!
Never having knowingly bought manure before, I'm not sure what it looks like.
This stuff is light in colour with loads of partially composted grass clippings ,a few twigs and of course some plastic.
If it is manure, I assume I'll need to empty the containers and replant.
Am I right?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    Is it peat free? It's a big brand so I would have thought it would be OK to use. It probably contains recycled green waste. Might be worth mixing some soil with it.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    It sounds as though there is something amiss with the content of the bags. I would take them back to where you purchased them and explain. Perhaps the Levingtons bagging plant had an issue and some non-composted material entered the production line? It should not look or smell as you describe.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,134
    ..did you get them from Tesco by any chance?

I've bought lots of these this Spring, Levington MPC from Tesco, and yes it does smell of manure, but it's a multi purpose and I have to say it's absolutely brilliant for mulching purposes, and also mixed in containers with John Innes or some other  bulky soil based compost..   I have not found any plastics in any I've had, and I've bought and used at least 20 bags of the stuff this Spring.. but yes, definitely some manure in there..
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
    I got them in Sainsbury's. I bought some a few weeks ago and it just smelt like compost. I've emptied the containers into a wheelbarrow. I reckon if it smells like manure it's manure. It doesn't smell like there's anything wrong with it apart from the fact I wanted compost.
    Plants repotted in MPC and now I will have to decide which roses  are in for a treat.
    I left a little in the troughs and containers to mix in.
    Thanks everyone for your comments and advice😊
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Commerical bags of manure shouldn't smell of anything.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
    I was thinking of starting a thread that says how do I get the smell off my hands? Washing and washing didn't work but hand wash gel seems to be working.
    It's unmistakably the smell of horse💩
    Anyway it's under my roses now.