Forum home Garden design

Flattening garden - retaining wall

Hi purchasing house but garden putting me off. The garden is in 2 levels from house via steps. The neighbour behind is higher level and neighbours on side are on same level. If I remove the flagstones and level the garden for grass - do I need to build retaining wall or is there one there ? A or the flower bed acting as one? B- Is flattening possible ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    If you mean flattening it to the "patio" level, that's a colossal weight / volume of soil to get rid of. 
    Or have I misunderstood your intention? 
    Devon.
  • n33na2002n33na2002 Posts: 7
    You are correct - I wanted to flatten to level of patio and have grass instead of flagstones. I was quoted 14k for the work. Wondered if I could do bits myself ? Or if it’s possible? 
    as a guide, a cubic yard of soil weighs about a ton. Then you've got endless skips to organise to take it away. 
    The new retaining walls.
    It's a big job. 
    Devon.
    :( this is potential house I buying the rest of home is great but always wanted garden.therefore wondered if could achieve it - which sounds unlikely 
    maybe just lift the slabs. sort the soil out underneath and lawn that level? 
    Devon.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Easiest as hostafan says lift slabs but even trying to improve the soil probable means taking out hard-core and buying in top soil, although if it's got a good base you could use artificial grass. 
    I think there are systems you can use over hard surfaces now. 
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 939
    n33na2002 said:
    You are correct - I wanted to flatten to level of patio and have grass instead of flagstones. I was quoted 14k for the work. Wondered if I could do bits myself ? Or if it’s possible? 
    In answer to your questions. No, do it wrong and you'll create bigger problems,  and yes, it's possible, but it will be messy, time consuming and IMHO in terms of cost versus benefit not worth it. 
    Work with what you have. You have the basis for a nice garden. (Although, personally I wouldn't bother with a lawn...but that's just me.)
    Thanks for reply. What else could I go to improve it ? 
    ?Grass on top and replace the flags with better ones? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I agree ... that's a big job needing big money and  a professional, not to mention professional equipment and resources. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh