Forum home The potting shed

Before and after .....Gardening saves the day!

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,068
    It's brilliant I would love to visit sometime. We had similar dream. We bought our LA house,hubby got made redundant a month later, completely out of the blue, company closed,(they had already sold up,) he got made redundant 5 times in the following 8 years.we said if it happened again we were off to France,my grandsons dad's biological dad had bought a huge farm house in Normandy, amazingly cheap.Hubby was intending going back to re train with Renault, contacted the French Embassy and consulates to see what was required. Had to be done before our daughter went to secondary school,but we had bought an unmodernised house which was ready for sale,so it never happened.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,068
    The house Wasn't ready for sale!!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,474
    Congratulations @D0rdogne_Damsel, it looks fantastic. I have followed your story and am so pleased that your hard work has paid off.
    I hope that the reopening goes well and that things work out as you hope. Bonne chance  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    edited 15 May
    @D0rdogne_Damsel congratulations!  You have every right to feel very pleased with yourself ... all the hard work is paying off ... that looks fantastic and you're giving pleasure to many and employment to the chosen few ... but none of it could have happened without the creative vision and determination ... and that's all yours  B)<3
    Much respect!!!  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,490
    @D0rdogne_Damsel I have followed you every step of the way on your journey, I feel so proud of you! Congratulations!  
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 284
    It's good to hear you took great steps to learn the language.  I've been learning french practically my whole life to a varied degree (pretty minimal mainly!) and I still really struggle to understand french people having a conversation.  If it was written down, I could understand it, but they're so fast!  That's great that your son is bilingual, I'm so jealous of people who have that opportunity.  Well I guess there's only one way I will ever really get better!
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,442
    @D0rdogne_Damsel   I too, have followed your progress since joining last year.

What a wonderful achievement!  It can't have been an easy feat with the language barrier (especially administration) to set up a business in a foreign land.  And sometimes, the French can be difficult when you are trying to make a specific point - they tend to look at you as if you have just arrived from another planet.  You've done it alone, on your tod and taken all the mental and physical work on.  I hope all your blood, sweat and tears are repaid in full this coming year.   We will be out of lockdown on Monday and if we are all good and obedient, we should be in the clear this winter, too.

Will pop in one day, when I'm up that way.  I'll make a point of detouring for that special cup of tea and slice of cake.

The best of British to you!
    Tui
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 818
    Yes, my congratulations and good wishes, too @D0rdogne_Damsel. You have worked hard, and it has clearly paid off. It all looks wonderful and so very inviting! Bonne chance. X

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,391
    Oh gosh, you are all so kind, I wasn't posting for praise, I was just so pleased with the progress of the garden and how much it and the tearoom had made people happy and how having a passion about gardening can make such a difference to one's life. 

Thank you all anyway, and I will keep you posted regards the opening, looking very damp at the moment - one customer tried to offer me comfort by saying that going for 'a soft opening' would break us in gently - I said do you mean no-one will come because it's raining?  ;)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    edited 15 May
    I'd love to sit out on your terrace, with gentle rain on the sails, gazing at that beautiful view, with good coffee and delicious cake ................ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh