Forum home Plants

Cascading Begonias

ciaranmcgreneraciaranmcgrenera Posts: 203
edited May 2021 in Plants
I’ll be planting out Cascading Begonias in the coming weeks that I’ve started off indoors from tubers. All are coming along well and showing leaves.

My question is about density: how many tubers to a 30cm hanging basket?; and how many to 40-50cm window box trough?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I tend to go with around five plants, for a dense effect. Remember to deadhead.
  • Fire said:
    I tend to go with around five plants, for a dense effect. Remember to deadhead.
    Oh wow, I wondered if I was overdoing it with three!
    I guess it depends on how vigorous the plants are. Other members will have other ideas....
  • I only put 3 in my hanging basket last year and it was pretty sparse. I'd definitely try more next time
  • Muffin32Muffin32 Posts: 12
    I do lots of begonias for hanging and wall baskets. I like to use those with the little plastic window things in which you can put trailing petunias with 3 begonias on top. But what I’d suggest to put in the centre of the begonias is Helichrysum Petiolar silver. It will spread out massively and really shows of the begonias. 

• Muffin32 said:
    I do lots of begonias for hanging and wall baskets. I like to use those with the little plastic window things in which you can put trailing petunias with 3 begonias on top. But what I’d suggest to put in the centre of the begonias is Helichrysum Petiolar silver. It will spread out massively and really shows of the begonias. 

Thank you. I’ve started enough Begonias to do x baskets of various shapes so it probably is the best option now to add something to them rather than trying to reconfigure!
    Yes ciaran, just 2 begonia and 1 lobelia in a smallish wall basket is all you need for a beautiful show.

Muffin32 said:
     I like to use those with the little plastic window things in which you can put trailing petunias with 3 begonias on top.

@Muffin32 could you say more that the 'plastic window things'? I'm not sure I know what you mean. Thanks
    I'm going for Begonia 'Santa Barbara' this year (new to me), but they are coming along at a snail's pace. I might need to put heat under the seedlings....
    I'm incredibly impatient to get going this year.
    Sorry Fire, they’re 15inch EasyFill baskets.