Forum home Plants

Want to source this plant

didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
This pic is in my 'inspirations' file and I'd love to know what the plant with the dark red flowers to the right of the gate is.  Does anyone have any ideas? I thought it might be a lychnis but I don't know of any with flowers that dark. (And don't you just want to go through that gate?).

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2021
    There looks like there might be three types of reddish flowers there. Cornflower far right. The one right on the path looks like some kind of dianthus...
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022
    Do you mean the one by the gate. It looks like a cornflower. They don't just come in blue.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,320
    edited May 2021
    I'm rubbish at this game, but I'd have said cornflower, too. Possibly 'black ball' which is quite easy to find as seed

And even if that one isn't, that cornflower will do a very good impression of it 
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2021
    B3 said:
    Do you mean the one by the gate. It looks like a cornflower. They don't just come in blue.

They come in various colours. I never had any luck with the red type.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,845
    One day I hope to have a garden that looks even half as good as that.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,129
    edited May 2021
    I agree with @raisingirl ... Centaurea cyanus 'Black Ball' 

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_304H
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    edited May 2021
    I think Fire is right, the flower head circled red looks like Scabiosa 'Black Knight' (check out the ruff of green sepals).  But the blue circle looks like the slender foliage and flower buds of Dianthus.

I'm admiring the Astilbe 'Purpurlanze' behind the gate!
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
    edited May 2021
    Thanks everyone!  Centaurea cyanus 'Black Ball' it must be.  As I don't have any luck with sowing cornflower directly (not since I was a little girl and they were the first seeds my Dad gave me to sow and they came up on glorious abundance) I've found a herb nursery that does plants.  But I might try it as seed next year.  And seeds of the scabious! 
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
    @Loxley - thanks for taking the time to circle the plants.  It would be wonderful to go through this garden with you - making notes as you name all the plants!