Forum home Plants

Is this a foxglove flower bud?

celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 743
I bought a couple of foxgloves from garden centre recently - I wasn’t quite sure if they would flower this year as they’re meant to be biennial.. few weeks down the line and I just noticed they’ve got this at the top.. looks distinct from the foliage and I wonder if they might be the beginning of a flower bud?? I’m well excited as it would be marvellous to have some actual foxglove flowers this year!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,199
    Yes ... a lovely flower spike is on it's way  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 743
    @Dovefromabove Thanms for confirming that for me! I also noticed that there seems to be a side shoot that’s developing with similar looking bud.. would each plant produce more than one spike of flowers? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,199
    Yes, some of the better and better grown ones will.  When the flowers on the first spike are over cut it off just above the top side shoot.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 743
    @Dovefromabove Fab! Thank you! 
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,566
    Some are short lived perennials but whichever you have - the first year's growth has already been done for you by the nursery.