Forum home Plants

Helleborus Orientalis

hatty_hatty_ Berkshire, 🇬🇧 Posts: 98
Hi all,

I bought these lovely Hellebores for a fiver each for a shady spot in my garden. 

I would like to know how tall and wide they will get so I can plant appropriately but Google is giving me different answers. Some websites say 30cm tall, others say 60cm? 

They are labeled as Helleborus Orientalis on the pot. 

Is anyone able to advise on how big they will get? And how I should therefore plant them? Many thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    I have some that are 2 ft tall and have a 2 ft spread. Others are smaller. It very much depends on the richness of the soil and the sun aspect as to how big they will grow.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Mine are more like 30cm, over the years, in sunnier or shadier spots.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    That's good value! They won't really get any taller than they are now. They will spread out quite a bit.  There's a bit of seasonal height variation depending on whether they are in flower etc 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Mine grow into huge clumps and they are certainly more than 30cm.tall. They seed all over, too.
    Maybe it depends on the variety?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Yes, @Fire, mine are common as muck, unnamed from a local garden centre. I have the very dark red ones and white ones and many of their children in various colours in between. All lovely and very healthy, though. The seedlings pop up everywhere and have to be weeded out.
    Sounds great.
  • hatty_hatty_ Berkshire, 🇬🇧 Posts: 98
    Many thanks everyone for your help!