Forum home Plants

campanula or is it?

borismrdjaborismrdja Belgrade, Serbia (44°49′N 20°28′E)Posts: 35
Last autumn i was given some root balls(without foliage and/or flowers) of "blue grape garden flower" that i identified as campanula glomerata from some phone pictures.
They started growing nicely (clumps of elongated jagged leaves on long petals growing from a single crown) survived the winter and are still presently growing foliage. 

But one of them started looking differently from mid spring onwards. it had a prominent square stem with wide space between segments, now its started flowering(early for glomerata) and it looks to me as 100% campanula but which one? 

If this one is glomerata then what will those clumps of long leaves grow into? 

Persicifolia?

or maybe

Latiloba?

or are they campanulas at all?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    The leaves on the others look like C.glomerulata to me, so I am not sure what the flowering one is, although the flower looks a bit like C.glomerulata.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,413
    I think they are probably all campanula glomerata, it's just that one has grown more quickly and is more mature than the others. Not persicfolia anyway.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    I agree with Liz, I had them, unfortunately the slugs had them before I could use any protection. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• borismrdjaborismrdja Belgrade, Serbia (44°49′N 20°28′E)Posts: 35
    thanks ya all!

Thanks to heavens but at least there are NO slugs or snails in my (roof)garden
    (saying that, I'm sure there is one right now crawling up a drain pipe and laughing at my statement :#

Talking of pests: Black flies exploded across the city few days ago(attacked elderberry en mass, but little else) but i saw first two ladybugs today so that will hopefully end soon!     

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    I have planted 3 Campanulas for the Harebell Bees to use near my bee tubes.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.