Forum home Plants

HARDY GERANIUM / SMALL FLOWER HEAD 20 MM / DOES IT HAVE A NAME ?

Hello.  Found this self seeded plant in my gravel garden last year.  As you can see it's doing very well with lots of flowers at time of writing ( mid May ).  Flower heads measure approx. 20 mm.  Petals are more a violet colour.  I now have lots of them coming up and although small they are all flowering.  They are easy to remove as I put a fleece under the gravel.  Are they anything special or just a wild flower.  Thanks for your help. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
    No picture,,,yet!

• Sorry picture didn't appear.  Hope this one comes out o.k.
  • KayJKayJ Midsomer NortonPosts: 70
    edited May 2021
    Looks like geranium pyrenaicum Bill Wallis? Flowers on and off all summer. Self-seeds all over the place...... :)
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    I think its the hedge geranium, Geranium pyrenaecium, as opposed to Herb Robert (Geranium Robertianum). I have it under a hedge in my garden and it's looking splendid at the moment.  I also have Herb Robert but I mostly pull these up, though I'm letting one flower as the pink flowers are so pretty.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
    edited May 2021
    How strange. I have just asked about the same plant on another site. Geranium pyrenaicum it is. Supposedly rare this far north so quite a pleasant find in the hedge row along our lane.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    Here's mine looking a bit wilder than yours!
  • Thanks for all your comments.  Have had dreadful weather this Spring here in Lincolnshire.  This plant is the only thing that's doing well in my garden.  It certainly doesn't mind all the rain, freezing cold and icy winds that we have been getting of late.  The bees love it - that's when the sun shines though !
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 596
    And its evergreen!
    East Anglia