Forum home Plants

growing asparagus

peteSpeteS Posts: 870
Can asparagus be grown purely for it's foliage rather than eating. My local supermarket have some on sale as foliage plants. Cheers.

• ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
    I suppose so, if you just don't harvest it. I always let mine grow after harvest time and end up with huge delicate fronds. 
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    Thanks @Mander...I've just seen them in the local SM and the foliage looked nice and wispy, so was wondering if they would make good garden foliage plants in a mixed border, without any intention of harvesting or eating it.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    You'll probably like Fennel foliage, it is similarly frothy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    The foliage on asparagus plants only appears when the picking season is over so late June/July from memory. It then only remains green until the autumn when it goes brown and you cut it down so to my mind has only a short season of interest. There are probably better foliage plants around.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Asparagus fern is a house plant,you can put it outside on the summer,shady spot,it's nothing to do with asparagus the veg,which you have to leave the fronds on to feed next year's spears
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    Cheers all, I think I will be leaving it where it is.
    @KeenOnGreen...already have Bronze Fennel, had it years at the back of the border...lovely.