Forum home Plants

Planting advice please

Tayside2Tayside2 Posts: 21
edited May 2021 in Plants
Hi , could you please support with some advice on planting in this bedding area ? It is in my friends garden in Perthshire & this area enjoys morning sun but for the remainder of the day is in the shade. She has recently bought the horseshoe sculpture & has edged two borders with lavender bushes . To fill with bedding plants would be costly and require replanting every year , it would be nice to consider some options that would provide year round interest . What would you do ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136
    I fill it with a mix of grasses, gaura and verbena bonariensis. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Am guessing that ornament Is pretty big then how clever!
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,552
    My immediate thought was grasses too.  And I'm with @Dovefromabove on the verbena bonariensis too.  But I would have a pop of colour in there too with Gladiolus byzantinus too which is a lovely magenta, or Gladiolus papilio 'Ruby', which I have - it's a really nice scarlet.  Gorgeous sculpture.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
    It's such a matter of personal taste. I would plant perennials, such as hardy geraniums and salvias but not grasses. I hate grasses, to me they look like weeds. I like the pop of colour that @didyw suggests too.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    Lovely sculpture, was it made by someone local? Assuming the lavender will be some shade of purple how about some miniature conifers for year round green and a mix of purple and white for spring summer planting? I’m originally from the perthshire area and remember seeing many lovely gardens with specific colour schemes. Some heathers would also seem fitting!
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 624
    Given it's shady, how about Heucheras? Hellebores? Skimmia? Agree, the sculpture is really good.