Forum home Plants

Growing Basil

Market BoyMarket Boy Posts: 87
I have been having terrible results trying to grow Basil. I sow the seed and it germinates well. Once the seedlings are big enough with good true second and third leaves. I transplant the seedlings into 7cm square black plastic pots. Give them a drink from bottom up. And put them in the greenhouse sheltered from the strong sun. The green house is well ventilated during the day. Within a week they have all keeled over and that's it there is no saving them. Any ideas where I am going wrong. I don't have any troubles with other plants raised from seed. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    What have night temperatures been like in the greenhouse?
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    Even my supermarket divided ones haven’t done well. Think it’s been too cold for it.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,409
    I live in SW France and my outside basil isn't doing well either, it's usually fine in May but this year it's been colder than usual and very wet at the moment.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181
    My basil is still indoors. TBH I’ve usually got a pot on the kitchen windowsill. It’s happier there than outside most years. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    Yes I agree with Dove
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    I might have to try taking the healthiest one back in then.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,036
    Don't split them individually - split them into clumps. I sow generously in small pots and when they're a couple of inches and bursting out the pots, I divide into about three and pot each clump into a 3 inch pot. 
    Too cold to be out in a greenhouse just now, even in [usually] milder areas. They need plenty of warmth and light. Same conditions as tomatoes really - you need double figures overnight.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,181
    Oh ‘eck... mine have got some aphid or whitefly damage ... I shall have to swoosh them around in soapy water a bit later 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,169
    I haven't grown Basil for a couple of years but when I did I always kept them in a clump, never divided them, I think they grow better that way. The weather is all over the place this spring so keep them warm!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,036
    I don't sow until about mid April anyway, so mine are only just getting true leaves. Not warm enough in my house to do it earlier than that  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....