Forum home The potting shed

Lily beetles

Prior to planting lilies in our garden we never saw any, why do they suddenly appear? Do they come on/in the bulbs?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,260
    They had nothing to eat previously 😉 at least they're easy to spot...makes for a whack a mole game in the garden. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,568
    Got my first one yesterday, it fell on the soil, not easy to spot as they fall on their backs and play dead, but I was as determined as he was. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,672
    They do over winter in between the scales of the bulbs.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 585
    I found one, it fell to the ground. I just had to wait until he started climbing again. Where there’s one there’s more and they might have disgusting babies.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,776
    The well -prepared ( not me. I suspect it should be I but that's another thread😊) have some white paper handy for them to call in If they drop.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,362
    I have a jam jar of soapy water next to the lilys,  put jar underneath the leaf they're on, little tap and they're in the jar - and can't get out because of the soap film. For good measure, I stir it up like a whirlpool. 
    It doesn't even need to be clean or warm soapy water, I leave it there all the time. 😅😱
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Aaron 583Aaron 583 Posts: 63
    Good shout, genuinely have no idea how they find them as the turn up well before flowers open. Managed to catch a couple pairs mating last year...dispatched.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,952
    My clump of Tiger-Lilies will be lucky to survive this years apparent onslaught by these critters ; took 14 (!) off the three stemmed group last Sunday !!
    Total warfare has been declared .
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 585
    I’m afraid I squish them with a trowel, a quick death at least. I like that they are easy to spot.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 759
    Despatched one a few weeks ago - was surprised to see it so early.  Cursory glances have not revealed any more but after reading all your comments will be more vigilant.