Forum home Fruit & veg

Runner bean germination

GlenjjonesGlenjjones Posts: 117
Hi Guys,

I have planted 3 runner bean varieties, all at the same time, kept them in the same conditions in my zip up green house, and all of the 1 variety is up and at about 2 inches, and the other 2 varieties are yet to make an appearance.

Any ideas, hints and/or tips from more experienced gardeners would be much appreciated.
I've grown beans, many times before but last year I had a very poor year, so I'm a little nervous how this year might turn out.

Thanks.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    What varieties, when did you sow? They need a lot of compost, water. Most of us are only just sowing and mine are in a green house,and I live in a very warm sheltered SE area
  • GlenjjonesGlenjjones Posts: 117
    I sowed Tenderstar, St George & Benchmaster. sowed them about 2-3 weeks ago. not sure which variety is up. they are labelled but I cant remember.
    I've been keeping them moist but not wet. and they are in 9cm pots, so should have enough compost. it may be that I need to water the a little more often, as last year all my seeds rotted, due to old seeds and heavy old compost (lockdown problems getting fresh seeds and compost), so maybe I've been a little cautious with the water.

I'm remaining optimistic as its still only now really warming up and my zip up greenhouse that they are in is good at keeping the frost at bay, but is not really offering much "Heat", at least not consistently.

I'll keep being patient. :smile:
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 431
    I’ve just down my runner beans yesterday and starting them off indoors. Hope this gives them a quick boost to shoot before they get kicked out. I last grew them a couple of years ago so I’m using old, collected seeds and hoping they germinate ok.
    I’ve just down my runner beans yesterday and starting them off indoors. Hope this gives them a quick boost to shoot before they get kicked out. I last grew them a couple of years ago so I’m using old, collected seeds and hoping they germinate ok.
    you'll be fine with old seed as long as its been kept dry. I've used seed that is 4 year + old in the past and been fine, the problem last year for me was my seeds had gotten damp and had started to grow a bit of mildew over winter, but as i couldn't get any new seeds from anywhere I cleaned them off and stuck them in, but to add to my problems I only had old compost which was far to wet and had rotten down over winter and became far too heavy so the seeds just rotted before any chance of germination. 
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 431
    Luckily my seeds were dry as they were in a plastic container but I had some yellow dwarf beans which did get wet, stored badly. When I tried sowing those it smelt like old boiled cabbage the following day. I left that container outdoors to see if anything emerge but nothing yet. I’ve sown marigolds seeds over it anyway so no wasted compost.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    You said you had a poor yeald last year,I meant when they are planted out they need a lot of compost and watering for the flowers to set fruit
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 490
    Beans need consistent warmth to germinate.  I have planted seeds later than today some years and as soon as they germinate and start growing, they romp away and soon get to the size when they start flowering.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,328
    Runner beans are a tender vegetable and as Erics Mum says, need consistent warmth to germinate. A plastic greenhouse is going to be warm enough yet, ideally they need to be in the house near a radiator or sunny window. Don't plant them out till early June and harden them off first.
    You said you had a poor yeald last year,I meant when they are planted out they need a lot of compost and watering for the flowers to set fruit

yeah, i realise what you meant now. last year was more to do with me not being able to get hold of seeds or plugs until late, and they never really got going, the slugs had a field day and they just struggled.

I'm more well prepared this year. :smile:
    ERICS MUM said:
    Beans need consistent warmth to germinate.  I have planted seeds later than today some years and as soon as they germinate and start growing, they romp away and soon get to the size when they start flowering.
    the other 2 varieties seem to be showing some signs of movement now. they seem to be ok, its just my impatience. :blush: