Forum home Plants

Sempervivums with phormium

I have underplanted a phormium with sempervivums, now at quandary about what fertiliser to use. If any. The sempervivums are about 20 cm from the base of phormium, downhill. Phormium is in gravel so I can not use anything granular or put fresh compost on top. Any suggestions?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    I've never fed phormiums in the ground, and never fed sempervivums. In pots, phormiums  benefit from the odd seaweed feed, and a refresh of soil as any potted plant would.
    I'm not sure the semps will thrive if they're under a phormium.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you. I thought the phormium is probably be ok feed free. The phormium is a small variety and are not blocking any sun- I guess that is what you meant?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    You need to look at the eventual spread of the phormium foliage and whether it will interfere with the sempervivums' light. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    You need to look at the eventual spread of the phormium foliage and whether it will interfere with the sempervivums' light. 
    Yes, I think I will have to perhaps move the whole sempervivum section forward as the years go by, at the moment I am still learning about them. May have to pot them before winter, it is in a well drained spot but still, winters here are very very wet:)
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    Sempervivums are tiny.  Personally I would only plant them with alpines and other very small plants (I'm think no more than about 4-5 inches high.  

Visually they would be swamped by most Phormiums.  Phormiums need reasonably decent soil, but if you plant Sempervivums in such soil, they will become very large and put to flower quickly (and then die).

You may be better finding a more suitable companion plant for the base of the Phormiums, and putting the Sempervivum somewhere where they can really be seen.