Forum home Plants

Seed mix for veg - Vermiculite?

Morning! I’m new to growing from seed and have started growing flowering plants from seed to begin with. My seed mix is a third vermiculite, a third coir, a third sieved compost. 

Wanted to ask if I should use the same mix for growing vegetables? My concern is around vermiculite. The product has a number of safety advisories on it, including to wear gloves and potentially a mask when using. Is vermiculite (and perlite actually) safe to use for plants (vegetables) for consumption? 

Hope that question makes sense. Many thanks! 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,297
    According to Google, there used to be a type of vermiculite used before ,1990, which occasionally used a type of asbestos,for insulation in the building trade, and it's considered safe for ag use. Out of interest, why do you use this particular mix?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,857
    Perlite and vermiculite are both made from expanded volcanic material. Both are safe.
    But, when you use either they create a LOT of dust - which it's best not to inhale - hence the warning
    I use both.
    I'm sure your mix will be fine for veg
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hi @Nanny Beach, I read somewhere that Monty recommends a mix of fine compost, vermiculite and coir for starting seedlings and so was wondering if this extends to vegetable seeds as well.  

Does anyone have any better recommendations for what to use to start vegetable seeds?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    edited May 2021
    Any multi purpose compost will do.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I've been using sieved MPC mixed with sterilized bagged topsoil this year with excellent results from both flower and veg. seeds.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,983
    I've never used anything other than bog standard multi purpose either. It just needs to be a reasonably friable medium, especially for very tiny seeds. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Perlite is vulcanic material, vermiculite is a mined mineral.I ue it on a few very small seeds when it is recomended, but beware opening doors and windows near the seedlings, its blows away! I did a trial one year, coir,MPC,JA seed compost, hardly any difference. The JA holds a lot more water
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 766
    I just use the same peat free multi purpose compost for all my seeds
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • @Nanny Beach, JA? 
    Sorry slip of finger on phone JI John Innes seed compost