Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plants

StorminStormin Posts: 22
Hi haven't got a greenhouse just a zip up type so no heat. When would it be right time to buy couple of tomato plants? Zip up currently full of bedding plants until end of May hopefully. Thanks

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    Depends where you live,you could buy a couple and keep indoors
  • StorminStormin Posts: 22
    Thanks. Cheshire so still bit chilly overnight and early morning. Would June be too late?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    For buying them you mean,? Might not be any left. Somewhere indoors, window sill. I don't think there are many folk with a heated green house,frost free, cold at a pinch
    Will go to garden centre beginning next week and see what I can get. Will keep them indoors until weather gets warmer. Thanks.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,083
    Sometimes you can get them in DIY stores - B&Q etc. I used to do that before I grew from seed, and they were often going for buttons.  Just keep them indoors until you've planted out your bedding, and then you can transfer them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks for that Fairygirl. Maybe I will start some seeds early on next year. Will let you know how I get on. 🙂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,083
    Good luck. There's always plenty of info on toms. Just don't be tempted to sow too early -  late March to early April is ideal.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....