Forum home Garden design

Half dug pond!

We have just moved house and are loving having two beautiful big ponds which are full of life.  The previous owner had started to dig a third pond half way up the very long back garden.  It is no where near a water source for filling and frankly looks out of place.  It is pretty deep and has some nice landscaping around it.  When it rains it fills a little and then quickly drains again (there is no liner),  Any ideas on what we could do with it would be greatly appreciated!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    HI and welcome to the Forum.
    I think, realistically, your options are, line it, or fill it in.
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    HI and welcome to the Forum.
    I think, realistically, your options are, line it, or fill it in.
    Thanks!  I think filling it in is going to be the way forward but it is big so a daunting task!  I think I will need to think long and hard about how to make the best of the landscaping around it and build on what is already there.
    Can you supply some photos? It'd help with advice to see the site

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,520
    What's the approximate size and depth of the pond?
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,296
    Or a bog garden area? Again great for wildlife,  pictures would be helpful 👍

• I have posted a couple of pictures above, the oil barrel in the middle gives an idea of the size.  My current thinking is turn it into a sunken seating area which will be ok in the summer but might be a bit soggy in the winter!
    It'd make a Fabulous pond, but V expensive for the liner. 
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    It'd make a Fabulous pond, but V expensive for the liner. 
    I agree but we already have two lovely large ponds and this one is in a bit of an odd place.  We are dependent on a bore hole for water and I am not sure we would be able to keep in full in the summer!

• ElferElfer Posts: 329
    A seating area sounds lovely, you could even raise the seating area and path if you fancy winter use too.