Forum home Fruit & veg

Weedkiller in compost?

After putting my Tomatoes in the garden (where I recently applied mushroom compost) just a few days ago, they are now displaying leaf curling, and strange pale spots, any ideas?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,891
    Weedkiller damage is usually more of a twisting or distortion of the leaves. You haven't had a hailstorm by any chance?
  • JennyJ said:
    Weedkiller damage is usually more of a twisting or distortion of the leaves. You haven't had a hailstorm by any chance?
    No we haven't had a hailstorm, and thanks re weedkiller
  • JennyJ said:
    No we haven't had a hailstorm, and thanks re weedkiller
    JennyJ said:
    Perhaps too much lime in said compost?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,891
    I don't know I'm afraid. I don't think I ever heard of tomatoes being particularly lime-sensitive but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    If you've watered them by sprinkling water over the leaves on a sunny day instead of watering at the roots, that could have caused little scorch marks. If that's what it was they'll grow out of it and the new growth should be OK. The same if there was a short sharp hailstorm when you weren't around (they can be very brief and localised).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,083
    It's very early for tomatoes to be outside. It may well be damage caused by cold temps.
    Even in normally warmer areas, the temps have been low for a while. It needs to be around 10 to 12 degrees at night for them to thrive. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 670
    We planted out some seedlings into the polytunnel last few weeks of April.
    Many have died because of the cold.
    The surviving ones thankfully are developing. So late and will they produce fruit..we wait and see.
    No chance at all for planting out outside even when the weather may be warmer.