Forum home Plants

Jasmin help

Hi, I bought a Jasmine plant last year and have recently been able to move it to its proper place in a bigger pot. 
As it was very young and small I didnt prune it. 

I noticed some of the leaves had started to brown before I moved it. 
( it was more or less in full sun) 
It now gets a lot of shade so I thought it would be much happier. But more leaves are browning.

I'm not sure what it is, should I worry and what I should do to help it be happy again. 

Photo attached 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    They need a lot of sun, but they don't like cold, so it's a bit of weather damage. Once established, it will cope better, assuming you live in an area where it's hardy. They aren't hardy everywhere in the UK. 
    It'll need more attention if in a pot, so be vigilant with it's care.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,453
    That's Star Jasmine, Trachelospermum Jasminoides, not normal Jasmine. I had one in a pot which grew pretty big at my last house, too big to move. 

The leaves do that when it's been a cold winter. It will grow new leaves and those damaged ones will fall off, so don't worry. It likes warmth and a sheltered spot. It will need feeding and regular watering in a pot, although they are reasonably drought resistant.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I have just bought one for a shady north facing 2x2m fence on my patio so it will have to go in a pot, what size pot would you recommend @Busy-Lizzie

Sorry for thread hijack.
  • Amazing thank you ever so much 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    edited May 2021
    It'll need a big container - they get to be big plants  :)
    I'd guess at least a couple of feet [ 60 cm] in each direction for starters. It'll need a soil based medium, not just compost, if it's staying in a pot long term. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,453
    @Elfer, it won't like a shady north facing fence. They like sunshine and warmth, dappled shade minimum.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    @Busy-Lizzie I have a couple on my east facing garage wall 3m away from the house so only gets a bit of light at high noon. They were planted by the developers 3 years ago (new built house) in solid chalk soil with top soil of only 2 or 3 inches and pretty much neglected by us. It's only now that I have taken an interest in gardening (thanks to lockdown), they got their first feed (tomato fertiliser) a few weeks ago. So hoping that I might get away with planting one in a north facing fence if they've survived in less than ideal position by my garage, also I have read that they do ok in shade but perhaps less growth and flowers.