Forum home Fruit & veg

Companion planting tomatoes

Planted out all my tomato plants at the weekend, mostly in planters 30cm square and 1m deep. Can I just plant a marigold or two at the base of the tomatoes or do they need to be nearby in separate pots? Presumably the same guidance would apply to basil?

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,723
    Today I just finished planting my tomatoes in the greenhouse,  after which I put a marigold each pot too ( mine are 45cm) haven't tried basil.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,895
    I always grow both French marigolds and basil around my tomatoes (that I grow in the border of my greenhouse) and it does seem to keep pests at bay.
    Given that yours are in extremely deep pots there should be plenty of room for roots, but you don't want too much vegetation around the stem of your tomatoes as it may encourage fungi. My basil plants get to about 2ft and are quite bushy too
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 975
    mint is also a good companion plant with tomatoes as it will also deter pests. Im going to plant both marigolds and mint in separate pots and just place them close to the tomato plants just to make sure! 😂
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• SnoweyToesSnoweyToes Posts: 2
    I've just planted some of my tomatoes with French marigolds in the same pot - 1 marigold plant per tomato plant, then basil and mint nearby. Hopefully it will keep the pests at bay!