Forum home Fruit & veg

To pinch out Tomatoe suckers or not...

Good evening all,

I am in my first year of greenhouse growing Toms.
They are starting to grow nicely, and I am seeing side shoots.
I have read that some people keep them in to generate greater yields, however, others say always to pinch out as they detract from the plant growth.
What ar eyour views and general consensus?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,141
    I pinch them out.  If you don't you get a mass of shoots and you can't see the tomatoes. Lack of air flow leads to fungal infections and it is difficult to pick the tomatoes. If you get an odd one near the bottom, and can train it up another cane, that is another matter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,097
    I call it " shaving their armpits "
    Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,853
    Depends on whether they are determinate (bush) or indeterminate (cordon) varieties.
  • All indeterminates
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,042
    Take them out and grow them as cuttings for a late crop as you have a greenhouse. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• borismrdjaborismrdja Belgrade, Serbia (44°49′N 20°28′E)Posts: 34
    edited 10 May
    Great question
    will tell u in few months
    Last year i didnt and had decent amount of fruit on few of them. unfortunately i didn't do a trial so... this year there are two identical pots side by side. In one I will take them off vigorously i other i will prune only if truly uncooperative (I grow mine outside on a 3m trellis)