Forum home Fruit & veg

How well do Black Krim cope when grown outdoors-Yorkshire temps?

young codgeryoung codger Posts: 352
edited 9 May in Fruit & veg
I am guessing that if these toms originate from a cold climate, then they should be good to grow outdoors in the summer here.

When ready, I want to put 2 or 3 plants up against a wall, South facing.

I ended up with 10 plants from the 11 seeds I was sent. All 10 plants are doing well in J I No3. Will no doubt keep a few in the conservatory which catches sun from just after 2pm up to sun set.

I have never grown these. I have read a little online-"ensure planted deep, with soil well up the stem. Ensure there is adequate lime when planting. Ensure adequate water down at the root-ideally via a pipe burried to root depth".

Anything else worth knowing? Thank you.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    My Black krims fruited well enough outside in the coastal SW UK in the last couple of years - both reasonably decent summers and grown in tubs with a full south facing aspect.
    I'm trying a different variety this year " Bloody Butcher " and so far I'm finding that Bloody is the operative word - slow growing and extremely whingy - time yet tho and much depends on what our "summer" will bring.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,329
    I looked up the history of Black Krim and, unsurprisingly, they originated in the Crimea.

I then looked up the summer weather conditions in the Crimea. 28°C day time is the average.

Good luck.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.