Forum home Fruit & veg

Marigolds and tomatoes

Hi, I've got some tomatoes growing in pots and was thinking of planting in some marigolds around the Tom's in the same pots... question is will they have a negative impact on my crop by taking food away from the Toms ? Thanks in advance.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    They won't I do this both in pots and open ground,dunno if it does actually deter pests,but I like the idea of growing veg and flowers together
  • Thankyou I will try this. 
    I'm a bit of an Alyse Fowler,my treat ( apart from a weekly bottle of vino) was always a vase of flowers,so now growing my own
  • nemracnemrac Posts: 64
    Have read that using Basil as a companion plant will improve the flavour of the tomatoes. Not done this myself but as I’ve got some new raised beds to fill will be trying it myself this year.
  • Alyse is great I love how she isn't too fussed about 'neatness' when it comes to gardening. I'm trying all sorts of plants, and some raspberries blueberries and strawberries.  
    Fresh basil is so good!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,494
    Basil added when cooking the tomatoes definitely improves the flavour :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,895
    Every year I grow French marigolds and basil alongside my tomatoes in the greenhouse and I've not yet had pests of any kind on them.
    The basil grows really well and the marigolds look pretty - and unlike pests I like the smell of both :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Gave up growing tomatoes in the green house, too. Difficult to reduce temperature in top one,bad dose of blossom end rot. Used the one in the veg plot, they were taking ages to ripen,put them outside that green house,and some by the fence, they did much better. I always grow cucumbers in there though they are outdoor variety,get them quicker. O can see one here,going for the conservatory door, putting on several inches a day. The pots I grow these and Ty courgettes in are full of dahlias, waiting to go out