Forum home Wildlife gardening

Dog's mercury

We have a wild area at the bottom of the garden with a large boggy section in woodland.  At the back, up against a dry stone wall, there is a lot of dog's mercury growing strongly and I've just let it spread behind the other plants.  I wonder now, though, if I should get rid of it, on discovering that it's very poisonous both to humans and dogs.  We have young grandchildren and I know the risk of them eating it is very small but it's a bit of an anxiety.  Sorry, can't seem to rotate photo, even though the original is upright. Any opinions appreciated.

Posts

  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,517
    It is an indicator of ancient woodland plants and is very good for insects.
    It isn't "exciting" enough for young children to pick it.
    It is flowering in one of our local reserves where dogs are allowed and we have never heard about problems for the dogs.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    edited May 2021
    I grew up playing in ancient woodland and ditches full of Dog’s Mercury and so did my children and many dogs. None of us were poisoned by it. 

    As soon as the children are old enough to understand that some things will make them poorly if they eat it, show them the plant .. teach them to identify it as part of ‘wildflower walks’ ... it’s one of the first plants I ever learned to ID and it’s stayed with me some 65+ years later. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • CazzieTCazzieT Posts: 57
    Thanks for the reassurance - it bears out my own feelings about it.  I'll leave it alone!
Sign In or Register to comment.