Forum home Plants

Cornflowers

RosieGRosieG Posts: 17
Hi, I have grown cornflowers from seed for the first time this year and they have done well so far. I'm unsure what to do next - do they need to be grown through mesh to keep them upright or could they be planted out into troughs? They seem quite big so I'm not sure how many I would get to a pot/trough or if they would need more room.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,146
    Could we see a photo of them to give us an idea of what stage they’re at?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,297
    Yes picture please, which variety some are really tall
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Mine blow over so need support. A lot depends on how windy your garden is.
  • RosieGRosieG Posts: 17
    edited May 2021
    I'm saying they are doing well, I have no idea what they are supposed to look like! But they have grown and look pretty healthy I think! Any advice on how to plant them out would be greatly received as aware pots are too small now. Im not sure what variety they are. Thank you.

If your photos don't upload try reducing the size a bit .... that usually does the trick  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Can you see the photos above?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    They look fine! I think you can plant them out any time so long as the weather is favourable. 
    Ah, the photos appeared ... think my t'internet must be grinding exceeding slow.  ;)
    Yes, I think they look fine :)   ... have they been inside or out?  If they've been growing inside they'll need a bit of hardening off before planting out. 

Thank you, I can't get the photos to load the right way though! I have read that they should be grown through mesh as they will collapse otherwise, is this correct? Could they be grown in pots/trough instead of the ground? Thank you !