Forum home Plants

Weed ID - help

Hi all-

i have a couple of these growing- I am pretty sure they are a weed as anything that grows well in my garden turns Out to be a weed- just wondering what it is as never seen it before in the garden 

• Sorry posted before photo had uploaded
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    One of the willowherbs. Best removed - especially before it has a chance to flower and then set seed  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    I agree ... well spotted ... learn to recognise small willowherbs before they get big enough to flower and seed 👍
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They are also perennial, and they look different from a newly seeded annual. More like a little clump of rosettes hugging the ground, and reddish. 

On the plus side- they're all easy to pull out.  :)

• Thanks all- I shall dig up quick x
    They will often pull out quite easily - one of the easier weeds to remove  :)

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Fairygirl said:
    They will often pull out quite easily - one of the easier weeds to remove  :)
    Unless they are coming from others that have been there in previous years. I tried to pull a number out yesterday, smaller than this one, and they were well attached to the family roots and needed some digging to get out. Fortunately they are on a fairly rough slope and not in a border, but it's an indicator of the need to get rid at first spotting!
  • I managed to pull them out with the roots so luckily I don’t think they have been there previous years 😀
    That was an annual one you had. The perennial ones are different and more solid  :)

• Ah thanks - good to know- as you can tell I’m a very new gardener- turned my garden from a jungle- 5 wheelie bins of ground elder and bind weed roots and I have a happy garden