Forum home Fruit & veg

Bulk Propogating

I am looking to bulk grow next year for my crops to be sold at a local store. I have found using large plastic storage boxes (Like the ones that can go under beds) work well. However I have put the storage boxes then in my plastic greenhouse, which I maintain temperatures of lowest being 9 and max 23 degrees. Should I have drilled some ventilation and drainage holes in these boxes and how many days should they be left completely alone before lifting the lid. Thank you for any information. 

• brackenbracken South West EnglandPosts: 88
    Yes you will need drainage holes.  Bit confused as to lifting the lid?  Do you mean you are going to grow stuff in the boxes with the lids on?  If so can't see that working.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,115
    If you mean keeping the lid on for germination then as soon as the seeds germinate the lid should come off. If you're thinking of using them for extra heat then yes put lots of holes in them, you might still get issues of mould though. I tend to raise seeds in containters without drainage I don't get issues with them getting to wet but you do have to be carefull how much you water.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,112
    I must read subject titles more carefully.  I thought "What is bulk propoganda?"
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    It would also help if you specified which seeds you wish to sow.
    Large plastic storage boxes ?  If deep ones, you may well be tempted to use far too much compost for initial germination. Shallow trays would be better in most circumstances.
    Once growing well, the storage boxes would be fine but will need drainage holes in the base and ventillation.
    Much depends where you are located and what your temps are - both day and night.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 325
    KT53 said:
    I must read subject titles more carefully.  I thought "What is bulk propoganda?"
    Generally what is spouted prior to an election of any kind :D