Forum home Plants

Dahlia

dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 179
I have about 20 dahlia in my garden left in ground over winter as every winter . This year only two just appeared and no sign of others. I keep checking everyday. I don't think they are eaten by slugs or snails. Normally I get them sprouting in third week of April. Please advise if I can do anything to get them going. Thank you in advance.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,409
    Maybe you need to wait a bit longer. I live in SW France and the weather here has been a lot warmer than in the UK and my dahlias have only just appeared. The UK has had a particularly cold spring this year. Some of your dahlias may not have survived. In fact I'm surprised that you have dahlias coming up in April before the risk of frost is over.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    It's a slow year for us all.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Down here on the Isle of Wight I usually see dahlias appearing in mid April. Not a sign yet. Never known a season so late. We are operating on early April lines, not May!
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 179
    @Busy-Lizzie,@fire,@Posy.. Thank you. Now only I can do is wait and hope they all have survived. ..... as they say Wait and see. One which came up growing very well so I hope all will be ok.