Forum home Plants

Do you have a plant that has proved hard to kill?

• coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 391
    Oriental poppy. No amount of digging it out and disposing of it has managed to kill it. After three years' battle I have decided to show some respect and let it be. It is just in the wrong place for me but heyho! you win Papavero!
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • cats_and_dogscats_and_dogs SurreyPosts: 71
    Jacob's ladder has self seeded all over my garden, it does have lovely foliage and flowers, but seems to be difficult to control, so make sure you don't let it go to seed. It's even growing in my lawn now.
     Forget-me-nots are also spreading at an alarming rate. 
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,398
    A friend gave me a Peace rose ages ago.  I planted it a fairly shady border where it didn't really do much.  After several years of neglect and a couple of years with building work going on in the house we really needed to get to grips with the garden - and my love of gardening rekindled itself.  I discovered the rose in among all the weeds and dug it up and chucked it in a pot until I found a permanent home for it.  I wouldn't have minded if it died as I'm not that keen on Peace.  But it thrived and I now have a space for it to light up a dull corner - hopefully.  Maybe it prefers being treated meanly!
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 682
    The Guardian has published some of the contributions for this, with a focus on houseplants.

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/may/24/forget-green-fingers-readers-on-12-hardy-house-plants-for-terrible-gardeners
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,223
    I hate mahonias! There I've said it!
    I'm a self employed gardener and they Are everywhere! I've been digging them out repeatedly for a few years now! The original ones that were planted and the self seeded that end up everywhere else!!!!!!!
    Also Japanese anemones.  I only like the white ones but pink ones get in cracks that you can never dig out!!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I get rid of bindweed every year, but it comes back in the same spots surely every year. A bramble comes from under a fence in the middle of a rose roots and nothing I do to it stops it coming back in the spring. Oxalis and celandine is pointless to try and get rid of it. But I quite like them.

I put a large garden trunk on top of a heuchera by mistake but it grew out from under it anyway and is one of the happiest plants in the front garden.
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 561
    Brambles !  They run down the garden faster than I can 🤬
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,364
    Why is it always the things you don’t want that you can’t get rid of, but the things you do want to spread just sit there doing nothing?

Geranium Sanguineum Album I kind of did want, but it just spread and spread underground and started a major assault on other plants. I dug most of it up last year but bits keep popping up. I have left two under a fig tree, with a close surveillance detail in place on those. 
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 673
    Lily of the valley - impossible to get rid of. And Spanish bluebells. 
    Surrey
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 23,647
    Rampant Rector and jasminium  beesianum. Long campaign but I won in the end.
    Acuba . Got most of them out but there's one with a huge double root. I haven't given up. I will keep it brutally pruned until it gives up.
    There's some of next door's overgrown shrubs that I would dearly love to kill but that would, indeed, not be possible😒
    In London. Keen but lazy.