Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners World Magazine through the post

I have appreciated Gardeners World Magazine's contribution to saving the planet by converting to paper envelopes, but is it me or have the number of enclosed junk mail flyers increased lately?  There were 9 flyers/leaflets in the May 2021 edition that just get thrown straight in the bin (recycling bin of course!). 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,824
    I thought that as well Tracey. Not a good practice and nullifies the effect of changing to a paper envelope, which the advertising leaflets probably help pay for. Somebody just hasn't thought it through. 
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 424
    I have appreciated Gardeners World Magazine's contribution to saving the planet by converting to paper envelopes, but is it me or have the number of enclosed junk mail flyers increased lately?  There were 9 flyers/leaflets in the May 2021 edition that just get thrown straight in the bin (recycling bin of course!). 

Same here.. it's ridiculous...and contradicts their increasing "lets all get eco-friendly" messages.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I don't think there are many brands that are driven by an ideological principal, most just hook up to whatever the latest marketing fad is ... eco whatever seems to be the flavour of the year.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 759
    The flyers will be an important source of advertising income for them.  I can't see GW actively encouraging their limitation.  Appreciate the paper out cover though.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,567
    All the more for the compost heap. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• didyw said:
    The flyers will be an important source of advertising income for them.  I can't see GW actively encouraging their limitation.  Appreciate the paper out cover though.
    Yes you're right, that's exactly what the long suffering husband said when I had my 'tutting head on' about the flyers haha.
  • Lyn said:
    All the more for the compost heap. 
    I must be honest Lyn, I prefer to avoid adding strongly coloured paper to my compost bin, for fear of contamination by the inks - discussion for another topic me thinks. Anyway, since the pandemic started I've had plenty other sources of brown material aka the cardboard boxes from the husband many deliveries of old motorbike junk he likes to call treasure.  Anyone who has a partner that likes vintage motorbikes will understand the last statement haha.