Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
Hello
I thought this was a self-seeded foxglove but it has multiple stems so now I'm not sure.
Whatever it is it's in the wrong place, so any ID will help determine where it ends up.
Thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,318
    I'd let it flower in situ. 
    A big big to move successfully IMHO
    Devon.
  • Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'd let it flower in situ. 
    A big big to move successfully IMHO
    It has put on a recent growth spurt, and I spotted another smaller one in the same bed amongst the rocket this morning. 
    Letting it flower will help with ID but it's right at the front of the salad veg bed so will have to go soon I think. 
    I guess at that point it will have two chances...  ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    edited May 2021
    Looks to me as if  it's going to be a gorgeous foxglove ... they pop up in our veg patch too ... I think they come from when we mulch with our garden compost. When we get good ones like that I try to shake the ripe seedheads over the flower borders. 

It definitely won't be happy being transplanted now ... they have a deep tap root, but as it's a biennial it'l be finished this year.  Just make sure you get those seeds  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    @Dovefromabove will it be finished this year? It wasn't there last year and usually you get the leaves first and then the flowers the following year.
    We get lots of self-seeded foxgloves at the front of the house and I'm quite brutal with them, digging them up and shoving them in any old hole, sometimes not deep enough,  and somehow they survive! 
    I'll find a nice deep hole in a shade space for this one and see how it pans out. 
    I don't think I've ever seen a multi-stemmed one before though,  hence not being sure it's a foxglove 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    That one looks as if it's about to flower very soon ... sometimes they will produce flowers in the first year... it's started putting up a flower spike ... and I think the side shoots will flower too but after the central spike.  Definitely worth leaving where it is to flower and then collecting the seeds.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Agree, foxgloves at that stage of growth really don't like being moved.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,451
    I wouldn't move it either, too big. I've had multiple stems before. I'd rather have it then a lettuce and it's only for this year.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Well maybe I'll work round it for now. If it flowers soon it'll be super early for up here, especially after the 'spring' we've had so far!

I'm aiming to grow fewer veg and more flowers this year, so perhaps it's a sign that this bed is now for flowers and I'll get the veg from Lid! :)