Forum home Plants

Can I recover this plant?

dcsgasdcsgas Posts: 5
Can anybody tell me what this plant is called please?
I have recently repotted it into multi-purpose peat free compost and it clearly does not like it. I would be upset to lose this plant. Am I too late to rescue it?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,871
    Pretty sure it's a type of conifer (picea ?)
    Has it died off since you replanted it, or was it already like that ?
  • dcsgasdcsgas Posts: 5
    Hello 
    Thanks for your reply. It has died since replanting it.
    I'm guessing that it might not like the compost, alternatively it might be that it's in a pot that's just too big. Sorry, but that's the best l can come up with ☹.
    I'm hoping that another forum member can give you a positive plant identification which will help. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,213
    edited 8 May
    I'm not expert on conifers and the like, but it looks to me a lot like Picea albies 'Little Gem'  https://www.vanmeuwen.com/p/picea-abies-little-gem-large-plant/v59215VM

It looks as if it's suffered badly rom under watering ... I'm pretty certain it will not re-shoot when brown and died back 😢

Hopefully other folk with more knowledge of conifers will tell you if If I'm wrong.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks again for all the replies. I don't think it is under watering. I keep an eye on the watering usually. I do wonder about the compost and/or the size of the pot. Maybe it is that?
    What l would do is take it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. Also take some of the compost and carefully give it a sniff. If it's waterlogged it could smell "off". If possible please can you post another photo of it when you've done that ?
    I am not sure whether it would regrow if you cut the dead section off, to be honest l don't think so, but that might be your only option. If that doesn't work then it might be better to replace it .
    Thanks for your reply. I will definitely repot it - and as you say I may have to replace it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,213
    Multi-purpose compost isn't suitable for long term containers ... it's really only suitable for growing bedding plants and vegetables.  For herbaceous plants and shrubs you need a substantial loam-based compost such as John Innes No 3.  
    The wrong compost may have contributed to the problem.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you. I think you may be right. I will repot - but it does look as though I may be too late. 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,679
    You wouldn't expect a drastic response like that from 'not liking the compost', something else is going on, like total drought or total lack of drainage. Or weedkiller spray.