Forum home The potting shed

Plant leaves going white

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,293
Good morning happy gardeners.....well sort of.  

I notice that many of you have written that your plant leaves are going pale, then white, then look burnt etc. after putting them out on a sunny day to start the hardening off process.

I have had the same problem starting with tomato plants that I put out around the end of March/early April on a fine spring day.  There was a coldish breeze so I put them back into the unheated plastic house.  They looked terrible over the next week and almost died.  I put them back into the conservatory and they came back to life and are now planted out in the garden - although some are in a very sorry state.  The same process with my green peppers.  (all were hardened off)

Earlier in the week (the weather is still cool here in S. of France, but sunny most days) I put out 3 kiwano plants that were doing well in the unheated, now doors open, plastic house.  Back inside early evening - but the leaves also have gone pale and today they are definitely going white.  The middle leaves are ok.  They stay in the plastic house.

Our daytime temperatures are between 18° and 21°C but breezy.

In all my growing days, I have never seen leaves paling or going white.  The plants themselves are not actually dying but recuperating with some TLC.  It's not just here, it's you in the UK, and also a Canadian is having the same problem.  A plant that gets cold usually sags and get brown.  

Is there something in the air that is creating this phenomena or is it just a sign of the times?  

As aforementioned - they do recuperate with the warm TLC.   
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,538
    Despite the 'weather' the sun is almost at its strongest now.
    The leaves have got sunburn
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,293
    Ok Maybe Pete, but the kiwanos were in a sheltered spot (dappled shade) on a mild day - until the breeze got up.

Just strange happenings.  I see what you mean about the sun being at its strongest now - still, we have to get to the 21st June for the max and to the end of July until it starts to dwindle.  Not being a scientist, but it's not rocket science - or is it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,108
    edited 8 May
    Rocket science is actually not that complicated (it's making use of the rocket that's actually the difficult bit) ... lots of other things we're told 'it's not rocket science' about, are actually much more complicated than that.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,776
    Like crochet.😒 @Dovefromabove
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 690
    Ive never had this issue until this year.. where my sweet pea plants ended up looking exactly like you’ve described. I put it down to sun scorch.. perhaps I had wet the leaves prior the strong sun coming out and the water acted like a magnifying glass resulting in a scorch.. but then I had all my plants in the same place and some turned white and others did not.. 🤷‍♂️ 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,776
    It happened to a few of my tomato leaves. I'm just going to ignore it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,072
    Cold winds (think 'chill factor') and strong sun are not a good combination for plants which have been raised indoors or under glass.  White patches on leaves are a sure sign they have been dessicated that way.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thank you @Pete.8  @Dovefromabove @B3 @celcius_kkw @BobTheGardener for your participation.  Onwards and upwards.  Just a setback in the growing season.

So @Pete.8   What's your prediction for this summer.  A sizzler or mild as was had in the southern hemisphere.  Do they follow us, or do we follow them?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,538
    Forecasting weather uses some of the most powerful computers on the planet and they still get wrong.
    So I'll leave predictions to the soothsayers
    I hope for warm sunny days and frequent rain (but only overnight) - I'll try crossing my fingers and hope that does the trick 😁
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Me too @Pete.8