Forum home Plants

Can anyone help please

I'm trying to find out what this plant is. I bought it as a Guara Whirling Butterflies but it doesn't seem to have the type of leaves for that plant. It has thin upright leaves and it produces masses of these little white flowers on tall stems that last for quite a few months. it grows into quite a substantial shrub that I've split a few times and it never seems to bother it. I've also propogated a number of plants from the seeds really easily. I'd love to know exactly what it is.
Thanks for your help

• AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 128
    I think that is Libertia
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582
    edited May 2021
    Could it be one of the Tradescantia (Andersoniana group) perhaps? They're pretty tough and don't mind being divided and moved. I've never grown gaura so have no experience with those.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much I think that is exactly the right plant....I now need to do some reading up on it I think :smiley:
    One of my favourites and on my 'Must Get Some of That' list ... I first came across it in Barbara Hepworth's studio garden in St Ives ... gorgeous. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• i've got quite a few small plants grown from seed.........would you like them?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Libertias are as underappreciated as they are non fully hardy in the UK. Do have four with a more bronze foliage, they add some nice texture, like so many NZ/Aussie plants. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    i've got quite a few small plants grown from seed.........would you like them?

Oooh that's so kind of you ... I'll pay for the postage  :)

• No problem would you like to e mail me your name and address and I'll get them packed up and sent to you......
    [email protected]
    edited May 2021
    @Audrey Osborne thank you so much ... I've got your email address now ... you really ought not to put it on the open forum ... you're liable to get spam etc.  You can delete it 
    by clicking on the cog wheel at the top right of your post and clicking on 'edit' ... but it needs to be done within an hour of making the post.

If you want to share personal information in future you can click on someone's name and click on Message.  You can access Private Messages (PMs) by clicking on the envelope icon at the right of your name on the black banner at the top of the page.  :)

But this time, I'll email you ..................................