Forum home Fruit & veg

When to move tomato and cucumber plants

All my tomato and cucumber plants are still indoors. Due to the cold nights any body got there's in there unheated greenhouses yet.

• Mark-EMark-E Pontypridd, WalesPosts: 125
    My tomatoes are in the greenhouse.  I put some out a couple of weeks back as I sowed too many and they seems to be fine so put the rest out last week.

I haven't put the cucumbers out yet,  so interested to see if anyone else has them in the greenhouse.
  • TeriannemilyTeriannemily Posts: 66
    Thanks Mark.completely different to last year. I've grown extra for both so might try putting half in for now. See how they go.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,723
    I put half my tomatoes and cucumbers out yesterday. For me the temperatures are supposed to be between 5 to 10° overnight,  which should be ok in the unheated greenhouse. To be honest they were desperate to go out, as its three weeks later than I would usually. Too tall to continue in the conservatory,  which is overfull of plants that should have been hardening off in the greenhouse .
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    I was forced to move some out 2 weeks ago,lack of space,SE facing green house, counts as cool/cold (, as opposed to frost free) is bubble wrapped has  tubular heater(, citrus in there,) the night temperature doesn't get above ,5,c when the sun rises and hits it it quickly reaches 20c,they are about 8 inches tall. Normally by now they would be in my lean to frost free,but that doesn't get  lot of sun. I don't have s thermometer in that one it broke! This week I transferred the beefsteaks to the bottom frost free one.
  • Mark-EMark-E Pontypridd, WalesPosts: 125
    I was think of putting some of my larger cucumbers out today as like you the temperature seems to be around the 5degrees and up for the next week.
  • TeriannemilyTeriannemily Posts: 66
    Thanks all that's my mind made up.Won't be today though lashing it down here.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,712
    edited 8 May
    I've had to heat one of my greenhouses for the first time ever this year.  It's been kept tightly between 8 and 9C at night for the last two weeks and the tomato plants I moved in there all still look OK and are growing steadily, so I'm planting them into the unheated greenhouse today because the night temps are forecast to not go below 6C for the next 2 weeks.  I won't be planting any tomatoes outside for about another month though, or until the min. night temps are above 12C.  Outside, the wind produces a chill factor ('feels like' in forecasts) which affects plants just the same as us, so the minimum temps need to be way above those inside an unheated greenhouse for the plants to survive and grow properly.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,641
    Bob what heater do you use,,? Top green house is thick bubble wrapped including door, citrus, brugmansia,and green house begonia rex over winter in there, tubular electric heater, keeps the edge off,but let's hope this is y most expensive electric bill,first time not in credit!! extra layer of bubble wrap goes on these plants as well if frost is forecast. Acouple of frosts since I put the tomatoes in there, they seem fine
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,712
    @Nanny Beach Luckily for me, I have electricity available in that GH, so I use a fan heater which is controlled by a wireless thermostat plug.  The remote is kept indoors and is set to only switch the heater on when it gets down to 8C but switches it off at 9C.  It seems to only come on for about a minute every 10 minutes, but I'm dreading the bill as it's been so cold that we still have our storage heaters on inside the house. :/
    I now use 2ft x 4ft 4mm twinwall polycarbonate sheet fixed inside the glazing to insulate - it cost about a fiver a sheet and is a lot less hassle to fit and remove than the bubblewrap was, but will certainly outlast me! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KiliKili Posts: 610
    I have all my tomatoes and cucumbers out in the green house for 2 weeks now. Like many of us they had to be potted on into there final positions as they were getting to big. They have been fine in night time temperatures as low as 4.

Mind you I'm a bit further south than most on here being 13 miles off the French coast in the bay of Grainville, but 4 degrees is 4 degrees wherever you are I suppose.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'