Forum home Garden design

My planter

I have 4 very large 100cm long planters/troughs which are going to be positioned against a wall which is also sheltered.
 I love ornamental grasses and  wondered whether a combination of evergreen grasses and another element of colour could be mixed together and would work well in the space and troughs? I would love some advice as I don’t want to get this wrong but am a novice so any advice would be appreciated. 
I live close to the coast but not within 1 mile and we have a breezy garden. Hope you can help. 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,008
    How wide are they Angie ? Any particular colour scheme? 
    Final question, which way does the wall face ?
    Also if you could post a photo of them, that might help.

• Hello thanks. West facing wall and no particular colour scheme. Would just like as much interest all year round as possible as going against a bland wall. 
    Photos of the planter of which I have 4 
    thanks for any advice you can give  would need to remain a metre or so, tall. thanks 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,008
    I would start with a look at this link from Knoll Gardens and see if anything takes your fancy :) .
    https://www.knollgardens.co.uk/shop/?type=grasses&area=pots-and-containers
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,701
    Have the containers got drainage holes? If not, you'll need to make some before you plant them up.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Yes drainage and raise them off the ground very slightly. We are also subject to strong winds from coast. Russian sage does well,looks great with grasses,we looked along our local beach prom to see what would be happy. Phormiums,pittosporum.sea thrift,marine kale,with the grasses
  • lovely thanks for the advice. I have now decided to use dicksonia ferns and some woodland plants which I saw Adam planting on the BBC show last night. They looked amazing.