Forum home Plants

What to plant with trailing rosemary in a pot

ElferElfer Posts: 329
I know sage works but I don't use it much. I do use thyme but some articles say they don't get along besides it doesn't have enough height or colour contrast to create a visually pleasing patio pot. Any ideas?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    I find thyme and rosemary get along fine, but alternatively oregano or marjoram like similar conditions or even lavender 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Parahebe cataract? Blue or White.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    Thyme does fine with Rosemary. Chives too or maybe a lemon verbena for a colour contrast? If there is enough space in the pot, three things are always more pleasing than two. Trailing rosemary can get pretty big and woody eventually, but if you chop off the top bits for culinary use that will help keep it in check.. 
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I have a big pot and Chives so will get some Thyme and report back.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Gaura lindheimeri is an option as it appreciates the same conditions. You could also add oregano, as others have suggested to contrast with the other two in terms of flower colour and foliage.

Ok I have a terracotta pot w 31 x h 35 cm, trailing rosemary, oregano, thyme & chives as well as a black compost bag to line the pot.

Now what would be the beat planting soil/compost mix? I have John Innes 3, horticultural potting grit & sharp sand as well as garden soil. I was thinking of covering the base of the pot with 2 inches of bark (moisture retention) 2 inches of garden soil (economical) and then fill it up with a compost/grit mix with a ratio of 2 to 1 ... 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    Trailing rosemary is definitely not hardy, so bear that in mind when you choose. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    That's why it's going in a pot.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    Med herbs need your warmest, sunniest position and free-draining, gritty mix that is not too rich. They don’t like wet feet, they will rot, so definitely no to the bark at the bottom and probably no to the plastic liner. I would normally do a mix of 40% grit to 60% cheap multi-purpose compost and make sure the pot is off the ground on pot feet or bits of tile/brick, so the water can drain through, but with a crock over the drainage hole so you don’t lose all your potting mix? JI No.3 is too rich and heavy and your garden soil - well if it’s clay then it will be too, but if it’s a well-drained loamy or sandy soil then that’s ok. You may get away with a richer soil/JI if you mix it 50/50 with grit.

Tuck the oregano in the middle/back of the pot as that can take a little more shade and water than the rosemary/thyme which will like to bake at the front. Chives are pretty adaptable so probably somewhere half-way or to the sides - that should work height-wise too, with the lower growing/trailing at the front and taller at the back.

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    B3 said:
    Trailing rosemary is definitely not hardy, so bear that in mind when you choose. 
    I had no idea! Given how hardy my normal rosemary is, I'd had thoughts of a nice prostrate one in a pot for evergreen structure... But not any more.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero