Forum home Plants

Peony

I have several peonies in the same bed.  All are blooming except Sarah Bernhardt.  It did not bloom last year either, but did bloom all the years before.  The bed is approximately 10 years established.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    Is it growing though? If so, I wouldn't worry.
    My peonies are nowhere near flowering. Are you in the UK?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,003
    I wonder if the light levels have changed ? Peonies like sun, and it's possible that nearby shrubs or plants are now shading it perhaps. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    Think they are just a bit late because of the weather, because some of mine are in semi shade. Unless they've been scoffed,he found one chewed right through the stem
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,417
    Tree peonies flowering here in SW UK.  My other "shrub" peony has buds - another few days and I expect it to open. Despite the lack of rain and the cold nights, not much difference from last year.
    Depends on location and aspect  :)
  • SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 264
    Tree peonies flowering in Dorset, 2 "shrubs" about to burst but 5 others in various stages so it may depend on the variety. Have the roots got covered by mulch?
  • JAC51JAC51 Posts: 155
    Tree peony and several herbaceous peonies still only showing mid size buds today here in Essex. None of them look as if they will be flowering soon
  • Thank you all.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Here in Lincs my SB peonies have small buds... a good couple of weeks before they'll open, I guess...