Forum home Plants

Raspberry plant looking very sad

I bought a raspberry plant from my local gardening shop back in March and I think I left it in direct sun for too long because the leaves looked scorch so in April I put it in slightly more shade hoping it would do better but it’s really not improved at all. There’s small holes in the leaves, any new leaves and flowers growing are going brown really quickly so I’m curious what I should do. Should I cut the leaves off? Leave it? Nutrient deficiency? I’ve come to the conclusion I’m crap at looking after plants but I would be pleased to save this fella if I can. Any tips or advice would be appreciated 👍 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited May 2021
    It won't grow properly in a pot of that size and really needs to be in the ground.  If you have no choice but to keep it in a pot, then you need a large one (60cm diameter) and use a John Innes #3 compost, which is formulated for long-term plantings (multi-purpose compost is not suitable for this use.)
    PS: do you know which variety or type (ie summer or autumn fruiting) it is?  When planting, it is normal to cut the canes back to 30cm and raspberries do take a year or more to establish before you see a normal growth pattern.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Of it had any kind of shelter on the garden centre, it may be shocked,it has been very cold agree pot no where big enough
  • It won't grow properly in a pot of that size and really needs to be in the ground.  If you have no choice but to keep it in a pot, then you need a large one (60cm diameter) and use a John Innes #3 compost, which is formulated for long-term plantings (multi-purpose compost is not suitable for this use.)
    PS: do you know which variety or type (ie summer or autumn fruiting) it is?  When planting, it is normal to cut the canes back to 30cm and raspberries do take a year or more to establish before you see a normal growth pattern.
    It’s a summer fruiting variety, and also it has been in a 30cm pot for the last 6 weeks but this morning I removed it from the pot because it was clearly not thriving and I wanted to get to the bottom of why it’s dying. I’ve got some John innes compost so I’ll see if that makes a difference
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited May 2021
    Chris Bower's site has some excellent advice on growing rasperries - click the 'Read more' link:https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/category/raspberries/
    and specifically on growing them in containers:
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.