Forum home Garden design

New build garden sun

Hello!

My partner and I have reserved plot 104 on the map because we were sold on it having a south facing garden. However on closer inspection we are concerned the house to the left (plot 105) and it’s garage might block most of our sun.

I would be interested to hear your opinions as it’s not build yet and we are struggling to imagine! 

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    In the height of the summer your garden will receive a significant amount of sun. The front of the house will receive the early light in midsummer and as the sun tracks west I estimate it will bathe the east-facing fence between your plot and 105 in sun until 1-2pm in the afternoon. The sun will remain high in the sky until late afternoon, at which point the height of 105 may mean a shadow is cast across part of your garden. I'm assuming these aren't three storey town houses we're talking about.

If you had a secondary seating area bottom right, where your fence meets plot 103 and garages (?) you should get late evening sun as it should avoid the shadow from 105 and also pick up some direct sun between the two buildings as the sun sets. I would see how the sun moves and where the optimum spot is once you've lived a summer there.

My garden is north-facing but once I'm a couple of metres from the house the whole area is in full sun in summer. The issue I then face is finding shade if I don't want to be jammed up against the house wall. Your plot will receive plenty of sun - you may even find yourselves wanting to add a pergola or awning to shade the patio windows I expect the ground floor will have.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    In a development like that there is going to be some shade in the garden at some point but your intended plot looks fine to me unless they are 3 storey town houses which are generally tall.   Single storey garages will be fine.

Shade in a garden does provide great planting opportunities so don't let it worry you.  Plenty of scope there for sunbathing, eating and sitting in full sun if that's what you're after as well as growing sun loving plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you so much for your replies! That makes us feel a lot happier, we really appreciate it!
  • Any blocking of the sun from plot 105 will be very marginal.  I think you'll get a lot of light into the area fronting the back of your house.  The end of the garden with fencing on three sides may be a bit more problematic, good spot for a shed maybe!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    Just one point to remember ... all the above applies if the area is on the level ... if the area is on a northfacing slope the properties and fences to the south will cast more shade at the times of year when the sun is low in the sky than if the area was level (if that makes sense ... I can't think of a better way to phrase it  :/)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Just one point to remember ... all the above applies if the area is on the level ... if the area is on a northfacing slope the properties and fences to the south will cast more shade at the times of year when the sun is low in the sky than if the area was level (if that makes sense ... I can't think of a better way to phrase it  :/)
    Ah thank you! From what I can see the ground looks quite level at the minute, fingers crossed!