Forum home Plants

Allium christophii

ElferElfer Posts: 329
My first experience with Alliums. I bought online in a 2L pot, it has 4 bulbs with leaves out. My understanding is that bulbs should be planted 3 to 4 inches deep and same apart. So should I plant the entire pot as is or should I try to separate them and plant 3 to 4 inches inches apart and deep?

• BiljeBilje Posts: 725
    Personally I would plant them as they are, maybe a little deeper to support the flower. They should flower shortly, if you split them now you may disrupt that process. They disappear after flowering so make sure you label them. You can lift and replant in the Autumn I guess. I have allium Sensation in many beds, they’re always getting accidentally dug up, I pop them back in and they seem fine.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I was hoping to be able to apread them out a bit as I think the flowers would look nicer too.
  • PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 90
    The flowers on these are huge so I would be tempted to split them if you can, they are pretty robust things. As for spreading, if they are happy they are very promiscuous so you may have them popping up all over the place in a few years.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    Don't I know it! I dug out carrier bags of bulbs earlier on and gave them all away but it now looks as though I'd never done it. I adore them though and indeed the drying seed heads but have now got to be really ruthless and cut them down quick.
    @Poppypuss I took it out of pot to have a look and it's a rather  compact cluster, I assume it will loosen up some if I leave it in water for a while longer but still I am sure some roots will be damaged. Should I give it a go?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    I wouldn't if it has buds on. If you try to split them now, they'll take a while to perk up and the flowering might be delayed or reduced. They don't mind being congested I find.
    Good idea @Lizzie27, I'd rather not take a chance, all planted now. Thanks everyone