Forum home Plants

Putting seedlings in greenhouse

Hi all - am very new to gardening but I've very successfully grown seeds this year. I have geraniums, marigolds and nasturtiums. Unfortunately I may have sown a bit early and my house is full to the brim of quickly maturing plants. I've tried to harden off my marigolds and nasturtiums in the day but we're getting consistent overnight frosts so I bring them in at night still. 

Basically I just want some windowsil space again to be honest! I've got 2 mini greenhouses that I would like to gradually get stuff into. Do you all think I could start leaving the marigolds and nasturtiums out overnight in one of these, especially if I'm gradual about it? I don't really understand to what degree these greenhouses offer frost protection. Will the plants cope with the cooler temps even if they're not frosted up?

I'm going to leave the geraniums until it's warmer, I can still spare some of the space for them at least! What do you all think?

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,837
    It partly depends upon what plants and how sheltered the mini greenhouse is. 
    AB Still learning

• One is on an east facing wall and gets quite toasty in the day (managing to germinate some seeds in it).

The other one is in the north facing part of our garden and doesn't get a huge amount of sun - except for the stronger sun in late afternoon - but it's very sheltered from the wind.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,837
    The one with the wall behind will be better as the wall will radiate heat back overnight. Try something and see how it goes.  
    AB Still learning