Forum home Plants

Wisteria problems

TriciaBTriciaB Posts: 37
We have Wisteria along the front of our house which had been growing healthily since we moved here 30 years ago. Last year it had fewer flowers and leaves than usual and seemed to be struggling. This year is worse- there is very weak sparse growth. As far as we are aware nothing has changed in it's environment. Some years back when we were having new windows it was cut back a lot but quickly grew again. Most years it has had to be trimmed to stop it invading the edge of the roof under the tiles. Has anyone any ideas please about what might have caused this sudden decline!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,010
    There was quite a long hot dry period last year so maybe it was short of water and that has effected budding this year.  The late cold and frosts won't have helped either.

Can you post a pic showing where it is planted?  make sure the pic is less than 2mb or it won't load.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TriciaBTriciaB Posts: 37

I have posted a picture. Don't know how to turn it round! However, it's possible to see where it is. As mentioned, it has thrived for 30 years!
    The planting hole between the wall and the path is really small so it's probably got too thirsty in the last couple of summers.   I would pour water down there at a rate of 15 to 20 litres a time, slowly so it soaks in.  Do that every other day and once a week add some liquid tomato fertiliser.   

Wait and see how it responds but don't go cutting any seemingly dead wood before mid June.  Give it time.   Keep up the feeding till mid July.

It should respond by sending out new shoots and you can do the usual July prune taking each new stem back to 7 leaf nodes.   Keep up the watering but no more feeding.

Next February, shorten those stems back to 2 buds and start a weekly drink with tomato fertiliser added to the water.  It should recover and flower with gay abandon.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks so much to Obelixx for your detailed plan of action which we are following. The only problem might be trying to discourage OH from cutting back what look like dead shoots - I will do my best! Your help is very much appreciated.
    They may be dead but they may also have dormant buds, hence the advice to wait a month and give them a chance.  Hide the secateurs!
    Just posting an update. Thanks to advice the wisteria has recovered enough to house a pigeon nest! Although I do not want the pigeons I am delighted that the wisteria is on the mend. I will keep following the advice (thanks particularly to Obelixx) through into next Spring. Perhaps we will get flowers then!
    Thanks for the update.  Glad it's going well.   

We had a wood pigeon nest in one of ours last year.  The stupid birds had clearly never spotted Minstrel pussycat uses that one as a climbing frame to get onto the annex roof and then in thru a bedroom window.....