Forum home Tools and techniques

Water butt - is this a daft idea?

Our garden is very steep in places, and a long way from water butts and hosepipe taps.
 I was wondering if I could put a spare waterbutt somewhere nearer to where it was needed, pierced holes in the lid and put it on top,  but upside down to collect water when it rains, while keeping critters etc out. Obviously it would only collect a little water with no gutters to help, so would it not be worth the effort?

• FireFire Posts: 17,116

Yes, you could put a water butt to act like a rain water tank. You could put some kind of fine netting on the top to keep out critters and leaves etc. If you put the lid back, might it not fill with water faster than it can drain? I keep trugs around the garden that fill with water when it rains and they make great dip tanks for watering pots.

You can run hoses from one water butt to another too - it doesn't matter how far away.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 10,811
    I have two waterbutts to collect extra rainwater in inaccessible places. I have just left the lids off but tightly tied mosquito proof ( I hope) netting over the top, which also keeps other debris like leaves out. It does work in the long term but obviously takes longer to fill up than those butts connected to gutters. Depends on the amount of rain you get I suppose! 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone