Forum home Plants

Hakonechloa Macro

ElferElfer Posts: 329
Bought 3 of these from Crocus and this what it looks like, kept them in pot for 10 days or so to see if any change but not much bar a tiny shoot. Is this how it should look at his time of year?

Also the one I have planted seems to have a weed growth, just wanted to confirm it is indeed a weed before I pull it off. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310
    the one  in the ground has a weedy mate. 
    They're both alive , just not loving this awful weather
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863

I recently bought 10 Hakonechloa macra from Kelways in 2L pots for borders either side of my patio.
    They have grown a  little since I planted them about 3 weeks ago.
    When they arrived they did have plenty of green shoots.
    Annoyingly they were also chocca with weeds

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564
    The great think about hachonechloa macro is that it is not a vigorous thug of a grass.  When happy it spreads quietly, waves about gracefully in the wind and turns a soft pinky purple from the stems outwards as it dies down in autumn.

The not so great thing about hachonechloa is that its lack of thuggish vigour can make it very slow to get going in spring so you need a lot of patience.   I have a small clump I brought with me from my last garden and have finally found a spot where it seems happy and it appeared, very discreetly, a couple of weeks ago.  i'm hoping it will spread but know I shall need patience.

I suggest @Elfer, that you let Crocus know that there is no visible growth in the plants you have received - except for a bit of weed - and that you are concerned they are dead.  Wait and see what they reply but also keep those pots in a sheltered spot with a bit of warmth so you can encourage any live shoots to show their noses.   That way your bases are covered if you need to arrange a refund or a new delivery.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    Not happy with Crocus @Obelixx I bought a few other items including a hydrangea which was discounted but is looks rather poorly and seems to be dying from top down. I sent an email with pics a week or so ago but have not heard back yet, according to web site it can take up to 14 days to respond! I had to finish off that particular border as I am doing the lawn around it tomorrow so planted the Hakonechloas earlier, let's hope for the best. Will send pics and email to crocus anyway, thanks for the tip.
  • AlchemistAlchemist Self IsolationPosts: 266
    They are most likely fine. We have a few planted 2+ years ago. Some have just leafed out and 1-2 looks like twigs, but am sure they’ll return. Just give it some time. As @Obelixx mentions they are not overly vigorous but once settled in the spread well. The 2 litre pots we planted initially is circa 30 cm in diameter now so you can imagine their growth speed.