Forum home The potting shed

Is there a word that pushes your buttons?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,855
    Sometimes you can have a private conversation with yourself in your mind. That's when you give yourself advice or congratulation.
    I said to myself or I thought to myself seem appropriate to me in that context.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Posts: 205
    Curated. 
    6Music is partial to a 'curated playlist'. I don't know why but it irritate the bejeebus out of me - I find it incredibly pretentious. Last week's GW House Plant special (which I enjoyed, although I know it wasn't altogether popular on here) had a curated selection of house plants for us. I wanted to put my fist through the telly (but it's a flat-screen, so that wouldn't have been very satisfying).
    "If that makes sense...?" at the end of something perfectly clear and well-explained. A favourite of my step-son and his partner. They either doubt their own ability to string a sentence together, or my ability to comprehend simple concepts.
    It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,208
    My daughter, her husband and the boys all say...To be honest...  I’d like to think I’d brought her up to be honest at all times. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,799
    The continual use of Gifted rather than given/received.  It doesn't even sound easy on the ear.

I'm wondering how long it will be before people begin to say they were Gifted with Covid. 
    Another one which is gaining in popularity is "I apologise" when you are not in the least sorry about something you have said/done.
    That one has probably been mentioned some time ago :D
    What about: " I hope you don't mind my saying...... "?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,970
    "The cost of living crisis" 
    Devon.
  • "Basically..."

A sure sign of an incoming banality from a truly vacuous mind.
    "Un pausing"   I heard this one the other day on BBC Radio.  
    What's  that?