Forum home The potting shed

Is there a word that pushes your buttons?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,523
    Any relation to  Whistling Jack Smith?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,671
    that Kylie song always reminds of a bar we used to go to in Koh Samui.  They had a live band doing cover versions every night, and they always did that one. Happy Memories 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    More like Lieutenant Pigeon and his #Mouldy Old Dough @B3... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    There's an advert running on Lyric FM (Ireland's answer to Classic) wich invites me to "revisit Northern Ireland again".   :|
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,618
    It’s like pre-booking and pre-ordering; I don’t get that.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Many years ago, my ex hubby took someone to task over something similar @BenCotto, when he was buying concert tickets. He was told there was a 'booking fee'. His reply was 'I'm not booking them though - I'm buying them....' 
    I can't remember what happened, but I think he was of the opinion that it was just another money making exercise. It still exists, as far as I'm aware.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,728
    I don't get that either. It really galls me to have to pay a 'booking fee'. 
    I don't have a problem with this word, but I'm irritated by the increasingly common pronunciation of DISSECT.  I'm sure it should be pronounced Diss-sect, not Dye-sect.  The double S is there for a reason... it's from the latin, "dissecare", meaning to cut into pieces.  BISECT, on the other hand, has one S, and is therefore Bye-sect - to cut in two...

Perhaps I'm just easily irritated...   :|
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,618
    I own up; I say die sect so I looked it up. The Oxford dictionary offers both pronunciations but gives diss first whereas the Cambridge dictionary avers that die is the form for British English and diss for American English.
    Oh dear...