Forum home The potting shed

Is there a word that pushes your buttons?

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,733
    Haitch.
    Words endin' in in'.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • RuthmshawRuthmshaw EssexPosts: 40
    1. ‘At the end of the day.’ Meaningless filler phrase.
    2. ‘Babe’. Toe curling, as used by one of my daughters and her partner exclusively to each other.
    3. ‘Darling’. Not in itself toe curling but inappropriate when used by youngest daughter to her partner as they are not middle class.
  • steveTu said:
    Haitch.
    Especially when used by people who say they work in Haitch R. You would think they would know how to pronounce their own job name!
  • “Smashed it”.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,303
    Knowwha’ahmean?

No, I don’t know what you mean. Perhaps if you had told me clearly and concisely you wouldn’t need to ask.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,288
    > Opening your mouth in an exaggerated fashion when something even just mildly unusual is said, the visual representation of OMG.

> Hun

> Stag/hen doo

> Anyways

> I don’t do (instead of like, enjoy, practise, take, have etc)

> Put my hands up to ...
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 274
    "Close of play".

As in, "if you can get that report over to me by close of play today".

Ugh. If used in a work context, it's work, not a game. I'm not doing this for my own entertainment - you're paying me to be here. If used outside of work, it's still not a game!!

What is wrong with "by the end of the day"?

Shudder.
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 274
    Also, again another phrase, not a word, and I seem to be alone in this as it's used everywhere, but:

"I, for one....."

I understand what you mean by just leaving it as "I". By the very nature of what "I" means, it is a reference to a singular entity.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,225
    Words that don't mean what they used to I would like to add PANTS describing something rubbish these days. NothiNK somethiNK, not sounding the G on the end of s word
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,624
    "Can I get a coffee?" instead of "I'd like a coffee please"

.... and don't get me started on which type of coffee you can have - still don't know what a flat white and a skinny latte are.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down